About Me

My photo
Bangalore, India
I write at times, and whenever I do, I try to experiment with my work. Monotony kills me. Read on, you will know why the blog is called the 'winds of change'.

Friday, December 4, 2009

TO SACHIN WITH LOVE

I started watching cricket in the year 1996, that’s when the world cup was happening in the Indian sub-continent. My dad helped me understand the game. And the reason which kept me watching the game thereafter was none other than Sachin Tendulkar. Like numerous other Sachin fanatics, I m no less. Here is why.

When Sachin would score a 50 or 100 or even more, I would jump with joy. When he would receive man of the match/series award, I would celebrate. When India would win any match, his contented face would nothing but make me smile.

When Sachin would score a duck, I would be upset and probably wouldn’t even watch the remaining match. When he would miss out on a century by 1 or 2 runs, I would not eat. When India would lose any match, the melancholy on Sachin’s face would nothing but make me cry.

Sachin, on 15th Nov, 2009 completed his tenure of 20 years in international cricket. Just calling this fact ‘commendable’ is not enough. It’s a huge achievement in itself. I salute him for that.

Sachin, I can safely say, has attained the ‘pinnacle of success’. There’s nothing left for him to achieve. So what keeps the little champion still going? It’s his love and passion for the game, pride for his country and the hunger to make India win more matches that drives him. I respect him for that.

However, the most striking aspect of Sachin which I had first noticed in 1996, the years after that and even today is his utmost humility. A person of such a high stature as that, yet exhibiting not even a tinge of arrogance is praiseworthy. His boyish charm, simplicity and panache just bowl me over. Even now when I read any article about him or watch any of his innings’ video, I get goose bumps. The style with which he slices the ball, the composure which he exudes on the field and the aggressiveness which he displays through his bat... is out of the world. I love him for that.

Sachin, continue playing like this for years to come. I don’t care what the critics say. I don’t care what anyone says. If people want to call me biased, surely they may do so. But my love and respect for you will remain unaffected. Millions and millions of people, including me have grown up watching your game and don’t want to break this habit! You’re ‘Apna Sachin, Pyara Sachin, Dulara Sachin’.

(Footnote : I had written this when Sachin touched the 17000 mark!)

No comments: