About Me

My photo
Bangalore, India
I write at times, and whenever I do, I try to experiment with my work. Monotony kills me. Read on, you will know why the blog is called the 'winds of change'.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

THE LAST DRAG

Dhir : Wow! Did you expect this happening to us?

Praj : Not really. I thought our plan was just perfect!

Dhir : Little did we know that the guy up there had a different plan for us (winks).

Praj (smiles): True. All that I feel like doing now is lying on a hammock in a sun-soaked beach, reading a novel and drinking frozen Carlsberg!

Dhir : Wow! Speak of being ambitious (winks)! Along with all that you mentioned, I would want to have Rita by my side.

Praj : Aww! Cheesy I must say! Relationship is one department where I have always sucked, so no comments!

Dhir : Ha ha! Yes I know. Remember in college, how you tried to woo a girl by gifting her a huge Archies (love) card and a heart-shaped balloon on her birthday?

Praj(laughs out loud) : I swear! What was I thinking?! Girls were never my interest! But you’re no less. What about the ten girls you dated before you finally met Rita eh?

Dhir : Yeah well (smiles sheepishly). Life is full of surprises, just never when you need one.

Praj : Ha ha! Good one! But hey, isn’t Rita two month pregnant now?

Dhir : Yeah! I wonder how she’ll take the news about us. What about your parents? Told them as yet?

Praj : No man! They have gone for some pilgrimage I believe. Hmm. Care for a smoke?

Dhir : Rita would have objected, but yeah why not!

Praj lit up two cigarettes and a cloud of smoke surrounded both.

Praj : I wonder. .Why can’t we steer our life in the direction we want to?

Dhir : Profound thought there. Well we can’t because otherwise we won’t be able to give ourselves enough credit for what we do now.

Praj : Not bad. I like that. So there’s absolutely nothing in our hands, right?

Dhir : Yeah you may say so. Just take life as it comes. Why so serious?

Praj : Ah just. Say, can we possibly run away from here?

Dhir : How I wish! But no, they already know about us.

Praj : But we can’t keep hiding here either.

Dhir : I know. Let the sun set. We can plan our moves only after that.

Praj : Really?

Dhir : Yeah, whom am I kidding?! No Point, Praj.

They both took their last drag and started staring in the seamless sky.

Dhir : Clichéd, but any last wish?

Praj : Ah.. I wish I could tell it to my parents. You?

Dhir : No wish man. Everything is fair in love and war, my friend.

Long pause.

Dhir : This is it, Praj. Let the bullets talk.

Praj(takes a deep breath) : Yes! Good bye Dhir! Cheers!

Dhir : Cheers!

‘Jai Hind!’ The soldiers roared. There were two gun shots in the air followed by a deafening silence.

Dhirendra Vijay Singh (Dhir) and Prajwal Singh Randhawa (Praj) were fighting for India in the Kargil war, 1999. They unluckily got trapped in the enemy’s land. They didn’t concede defeat. They didn’t surrender.

(Disclaimer: All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.)

No comments: