About Me

My photo
Bangalore, India
I write at times, and whenever I do, I try to experiment with my work. Monotony kills me. Read on, you will know why the blog is called the 'winds of change'.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

AN ODE TO MY 'CROSSIE' FRIEND

Black and white is what I could only see,
Till my friend threw light on it.
So far I thought Crossword is not my cup of tea,
Only to learn later it’s beyond that tiny mini grid!

My friend asked me to look for clue.
So this clue read ‘quite beautiful (6)’.
I simply said its ‘pretty’ and my friend exclaimed ‘so true!’
He, but after a pause said ‘what made you think so?’

I excitedly said ‘beautiful means pretty’ and longed for him to tell lines of praise a few.
He shook his head and said ‘that’s not how it works, oh no!’
‘You see, pretty means both quite and beautiful, and that’s how you do!’
I made a face and realized there’re things I still don’t know.

Thereafter I made it a point to solve Crossword every day.
‘And of course I’ll help you!’ beamed my friend.
Now on cracking a toughie, I feel all happy and gay,
It’s all cuz of him..Why, O’ thank you my dear friend!

(Footnote : I generally don't write poems. This one is pretty much my first attempt at it, just for fun. So bear with it =))

2 comments:

Descorpio said...

hehe..Happy and gay.. i am such a 15 year old! That still cracks me up... I really need to grow up!

Arunaldo said...

yet another student of the crossie maestro - I call him 'Scholes Anna' btw - salutes him. hope you get into IIMB mate!