About Me

My photo
Bangalore, India
I write at times, and whenever I do, I try to experiment with my work. Monotony kills me. Read on, you will know why the blog is called the 'winds of change'.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

MAMA'S BOY!

Born and brought up in a humble village,
People adored me despite all my drama.
They pampered me, they played with me,
But my best friend was my mother, my Mama.

Mama taught me how to crawl and walk,
She taught me how to read and write.
She helped me learn the rights and wrongs,
Moral and immoral, and darkness and light.

‘You are such a Mama’s boy’,
People in my village complained.
I never reacted much anyway,
For I loved Mama a lot, the fact remained.

Mama showed me the colors of life,
Blue, Green, Yellow and Red.
Ignorantly innocent foolish me,
A lot of dreams in my eyes placed.

Mama always knew I was a timid boy,
She would thusly never let go of me.
Any quarrel, any fight that ever happened,
She would always be there to protect me.

As I turned into a young and handsome thirteen year old,
Mama taught me how to be fearless and brave.
With the nasty ugly world out there,
Mama said “Hard work and sincerity will keep you safe.”

People came and went in my life,
And so did the numerous springs and falls.
Mama was always there to help me,
Swim in deep waters and climb the high walls.

With the past residing in the deepest corner of my mind,
I was then twenty and standing alone there.
Too bad, Mama was not there with me,
I had lost everyone in the dark somewhere.

I held firmly the dark metallic reality,
My hands didn’t shake, my eyes never swayed.
I aimed the rifle at a person my chief loathed,
The sound of the bullet rang through my head.

I left the site with a conquering pride,
They chased me and I fired at them.
They never caught me and I kept taking lives,
Purely for wealth, not for name or fame.

I never talked about this to Mama,
Solely because I didn’t want to.
‘I had to survive in the nasty ugly world, Mama’,
‘And what only matters in this world is what you do’.

It was not what I had dreamt of becoming as a kid,
But destiny had planned it differently for me.
‘I had to survive in the nasty ugly world, Mama’,
‘If only I could have looked into your eyes and said thee’.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For a moment, I thought this was about a mama's boy coming of age to become a soldier.. After reading the last two stanzas, I feel it's more about mama's boy becoming a gangster.. The rhyming is a nice touch :)

Sarah Banerjee said...

That was the surprise element. Thanks :)

Wordpsmith said...

Glad to see that you're writing again. Guess leaving IT shores has been good for you :) Hope you keep writing and sailing in the sea of words. Take care

Sarah Banerjee said...

Hehehe..I try writing whenever I find time. Thanks :) Keep reading and commenting on my posts ;)