About Me

My photo
Bangalore, India
I write at times, and whenever I do, I try to experiment with my work. Monotony kills me. Read on, you will know why the blog is called the 'winds of change'.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

SUMMER NIGHTS

“Ha ha… you must be kidding me! Really? Did you not even remotely like anyone in the past four years?” Tania did not feel very happy about the tone of the question. Boy friends can be inquisitive but why do they have to ridicule their girl friends! She maintained her composure and said “I’m afraid no, Raj. Some things just don’t happen the way you want them to. What’s the big deal anyway?” Tania looked away. Raj held her hand and said in an assuring tone “You don’t have to feel bad. I like pulling your leg. I have known you for more than a year now and I know what annoys you the most. Stupid girl. Nonsense.” Raj smiled and gave her a tight bear hug.

Stupid girl. Nonsense. Someone else used to call her that. A bus friend that she had made long ago. Arvind. Tania went back to her hostel and tried to sleep but could not. Where is he now? She remembered that phone call one night. The last thing he said was “I’m quitting my job. I have other dreams to pursue.” She did not hear from him after that.

Tania kept tossing and turning. She just could not sleep. Oh the wretched summer nights!

Summer nights used to be brilliant few years ago. Drinking coffee, long walks on the endless streets and the inconsequential talks. Tania remembered how talking to Arvind on various topics like books, movies, sex and destiny, seemed such a normal affair. And then one day, they both talked about how their life partners would be like. ‘Dangling conversation’ that it was. They knew they liked each other.

The train of thoughts was broken by the phone ring. Tania took the call. “Hey Raj! Why up so late?” “Just a reminder. Get my class notes tomorrow. My friends are calling me. Will talk to you later. Love you. Good night.” Raj hung up the phone.

Tania got up from her bed and looked outside the window. The moon was yet again shining in its full glory. The trees were dancing to the tune of the mellow breeze.

That night was beautiful too. The night when Tania and Arvind were being stupid. Or may be not. She dint know. He dint know either. Some inhibitions, some convictions and some beliefs were holding them back. They eventually let those overpower their feelings. Stupid. They walked hand in hand, looked at the moon and sighed. She called it destiny and he laughed it off. They went their separate ways.

Tania forced herself to sleep. She had a lecture to attend at 8 in the morning. MBA was indeed hectic. Arvind was never fond of MBA. Before sleeping, she put Raj’s class notes in her bag. She closed her eyes as the summer night outside kept teasing her with the memories.